The Ackee was brought to Jamaica from West Africa in the 1700’s and is Jamaica’s National Dish. Some say it is a fruit and others say it is a vegetable. Because we cannot eat it uncooked, I prefer to think of the Ackee as a vegetable. This is usually served with salted codfish, but can be served with ham and/or bacon as well.
Ackee needs to be carefully cleaned and prepared before cooking and is a very tasty dish when finished.
Here is a recipe for an Ackee appetizer:
- 1-2 Cups boiled ackee
- 2-2 ½ tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- 2 table spoons onion and/or green onions (chopped)
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- Black pepper and/or hot pepper and salt to taste
1. Crush the ackee with a fork or potato masher
2. Mix together with the other ingredients
3. Put in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight
4. Serve on your favorite crackers or chips.